- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 9 scones
- Preparation Time:
- 2 c. flour
- 2 Tb. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. shredded coconut
- 1/3 c. almond paste (about 3 1/2 oz.), well chilled
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/3 c. milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1 1/2 Tb. seedless raspberry preserves
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 1/2 tsp. water for glaze (optional)
- 3 Tb. slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Lightly butter a baking sheet.
- In large bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Place coconut in food processor fitted with steel blade. Process for 30 seconds or 'til coconut is finely chopped. Stir coconut into flour mixture. Cut almond paste and butter into 1/2" pieces and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In small bowl stir together milk, egg, vanilla and almond extracts. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Pat dough into a 1/2" thickness on lightly floured cutting board. Using a 2 1/2" diameter round biscuit cutter or a glass, cut out rounds from dough. Gather scraps together and repeat 'til all the dough is used and there are 18 rounds. Place 9 rounds on prepared baking sheet, leaving about 3" between scones. Mound 1/2 tsp. of preserves in center of each round. Top each round with one of the remaining circles of dough. Press edges together to seal well. Brush top and sides with egg mixture and top each with 2 tsp. of almonds. Press nuts lightly into dough. Bake for 17-22 min. or 'til tops are just lightly browned and the bottoms are browned.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack and cool for 5 min. Using a spatula transfer scones to wire rack to cool. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container.
Notes"Raspberry preserves sandwiched between layers of almond-coconut scones to create a special treat."