- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 45
- 2 sticks butter - softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour sift - 3 times
- 3 heaping Tablespoons Nestle's Milk Chocolate
- 2 bottles red food coloring (1 oz each)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 3 stiffly beaten egg whites
- 1 teaspoon soda
- Preheat oven to 350%
- Grease and flour 3 cake pans (8 inch)
- Add salt, soda and chocolate to sifted flour. Set aside.
- Separate eggs and beat egg whites, set aside.
- Cream buttter and suger till light and fluffy;
- Add egg yolks and mix well;
- Add red food coloring;
- Add dry ingredients alternately with butter milk.
- Add vinegar;
- Gently fold in beaten egg whites.
- Divide between pans and bake 25 to 30 minutes.
- Frost with your favorite white frosting.
NotesI bought a cookbook from a church in Texas in 1972. This recipe was submitted by a member. Over the years the page has been used so much the name of the person has faded. This is my son's favorite birthday cake and Christmas cake.
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Italy or BustSee More
No-Bake Flag Cookies
Aunt Sherry’s Chicken Cacciatore
Strawberry Cheese TartSee More