- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 45
- 2 sticks butter - softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour sift - 3 times
- 3 heaping Tablespoons Nestle's Milk Chocolate
- 2 bottles red food coloring (1 oz each)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 3 stiffly beaten egg whites
- 1 teaspoon soda
- Preheat oven to 350%
- Grease and flour 3 cake pans (8 inch)
- Add salt, soda and chocolate to sifted flour. Set aside.
- Separate eggs and beat egg whites, set aside.
- Cream buttter and suger till light and fluffy;
- Add egg yolks and mix well;
- Add red food coloring;
- Add dry ingredients alternately with butter milk.
- Add vinegar;
- Gently fold in beaten egg whites.
- Divide between pans and bake 25 to 30 minutes.
- Frost with your favorite white frosting.
NotesI bought a cookbook from a church in Texas in 1972. This recipe was submitted by a member. Over the years the page has been used so much the name of the person has faded. This is my son's favorite birthday cake and Christmas cake.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
VivaVeganGal's Family Favorites
WorkingBug's Open House CookbookSee More
STUFFAT TAL-QARNIT (Octopus Stew)
Frosted Apple Cinnamon Bars
BANANA WELLINGTONSSee More