- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstorySaw this recipe on the TOH BB and just had to copy it for future trying. It sounds delicious and would look so appealing due to its shape.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 heaping tsps honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 large eggs
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- To make syrup, place sugar in a small heavy saucepan with 4 cups water (or to cover) and bring to a boil. Add lemon juice and cook for 20 minutes, uncovered. Add honey and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, eggs and a pinch of salt, and mix, kneading well with your hands. Divide dough in half and cover with a towel. Let sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Roll out dough as thinly as possible (less than 1/8" thick). Using a sharp knife, cut dough into long strips about 1" by 12".
- Pour about 4" of oil into a heavy pot and heat to 375 degrees F. Carefully and loosely wrap each strip of dough around 3 fingers until dough is used up. Then take 2 forks and insert them in the center of each dough circle. Keeping the rings very wide and loose, carefully dip dough into hot oil, turning carefully with the forks for a few minutes.
- Rosettes will puff up like a rose, then start to turn golden. Quickly remove from oil and drain.
- Spoon syrup over rosettes and serve. Marlene