- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time: 30-40
- (2) Large Eggplants
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Mozzerella Cheese
- Package of Sliced Mushrooms
- (1) 28oz. Can of Crushed tomatoes (w/basil)
- 4-5 cloves of crushed/chopped garlic
- 1/2 Onion chopped
- (1) Tbsp Herbs de Provence
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- To prepare sauce:
- Saute chopped onion and (2) cloves of crushed garlic in 1-2 Tbsp of EVOO.
- Add can of crushed tomato.
- Add (3) Tbsp of EVOO and mix well.
- Bring just to boil, reduce heat to low, cover partially and simmer for 25 min. or until sauce has thickened.
- Set aside.
- Preheat Oven to 425 degrees
- Wash and slice eggplant to desired thickness. (I cut into rounds)
- Brush both sides with EVOO and sprinkle with remaining crushed garlic, salt and pepper.
- Brown mushrooms in pan with EVOO, salt & pepper. For perfectly browned mushrooms; remember: don't crowd the mushrooms.
- Bake in oven turning 1-2 times until desired doneness. (I like them browned)
- Reduce oven to 375 degrees
- Spray baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Layer sauce, eggplant, cheese and mushrooms until all ingredients are used, ending with cheese.
- Bake for approximately 40 min.
- Let cool for 10 min and enjoy!
NotesThis recipe is an original that I came up with for my husband, who loves eggplant!
I make my marinera sauce from a can of crushed tomatoes and EVOO. Which I believe to be the secret ingredient. I have made this for my in laws and they absolutely loved it.
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert Cookbook
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern CreationsSee More
Nanci's World Famous Cannoli
Grilled Veggie Pasta Salad
Cinnamon Red Hot PicklesSee More