- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 boxes corn muffin mix, 8 1/2 ounces each (recommended: Jiffy)
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Extra-virgin olive oil or, vegetable oil, for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin or vegetable oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons cayenne sauce
- 2 1/2 cups (10-ounce sack from dairy aisle) shredded Cheddar or jack cheese
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small can, 2 1/4 ounces sliced chillies or jalapenos, drained
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 small vine ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons drained sliced green olives (salad olives)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves, optional garnish
- Mild to medium taco sauce to pass at table, 1 cup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix together 2 packages muffin mix with 2 eggs, 4 tablespoons melted butter (melt in microwave 30 seconds), 1 1/2 cups milk and frozen corn kernels. Wipe a nonstick skillet with a little extra or vegetable oil and pour in the muffin mix. Use a large skillet, 10 to 12 inch. Choose a pan with oven safe handle or, double-wrap handle with foil to protect it in the oven. Place pan in oven and bake 12 to 15 minutes in center of the oven until light golden in color.
- Brown the meat over medium high heat in a second skillet in extra or vegetable oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add onions and spices and cook meat 5 minutes more.
- Remove cornbread from oven and top with meat, cheese, and veggies. Add pan back to oven and cook 5 minutes more to melt cheese. Garnish with cilantro, optional. Cut into 8 wedges and serve the deep dish pan pizza from the skillet. Pass taco sauce at the table to sprinkle on top.
NotesMy husband and I LOVE this recipe. Make it easier on yourself - instead of using all the different spices (some people may not have all of them) buy a packet of low sodium taco seasoning and make the meat according to the package. P.S. I have a pic of this dish in my bio!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Family and Friends Starter CookBook
"Pretty Food" for the home ChefSee More
Curried Eggplant with Coconut Milk
Cube Steaks Paprika
Crockpot Rice Pork ChopsSee More