- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, thighs or combination of both, cut into chunks
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 carrots, chopped into fine dice
- 1 rounded teaspoon sugar
- 12 crimini (baby bellas) mushrooms, sliced or chopped
- 4 to 5 sprigs fresh tarragon, leaves chopped, about 2 tablespoons
- Handful flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 1/3 cups good dry red wine, such as Burgundy
- 1 (15-ounce) can chunky style crushed tomatoes or diced tomatoes in puree
- 3/4 pound extra-wide egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into bits
- 2 sprigs fresh tarragon, leaves chopped, about 1 tablespoon
- Handful flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped, about 2 tablespoons
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the noodles.
- Season chicken generously with salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium high heat brown pieces of chicken in oil for 2 or 3 minutes on each side and remove to a plate.
- Return pan to stove and reduce heat to medium. Add butter to the pan and shallots, carrots and mushrooms. Saute 3 to 5 minutes until mushrooms darken and carrot bits are fork tender. Add sugar, tarragon and parsley and stir. Add wine and reduce liquid for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes to your sauce and stir to combine. Add chicken back to the pan and simmer chicken in sauce for 6 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles until just tender, about 6 minutes. Drain and transfer to a serving bowl. Toss the noodles with butter, tarragon, parsley, and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken with buttered egg noodles tossed with fresh herbs.
NotesI have made this dish MANY times with rave reviews from family and friends. This is another one of Rachel's dishes that gets better if it simmers another 20 minutes on the stove. With a small side salad and some crusty french bread this meal is definitely worth a try.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative Creations
Italy or BustSee More
Apricot Glazed Chicken Breasts
Blueberry Light MuffinsSee More