- Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 1 head radiccchio
- 1 Tblsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 quart meat or vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion
- 2 Tblsp Olive Oil
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 2 Tblsp butter
- 1/4 Parmesan cheese
- In separate sauce pan, heat broth to steaming then turn to low
- Finely chop the onion and add to large heavy-bottomed pan along with 2 Tbls of olive oil
- Cook over medium-high heat until translucent and soft
- Add rice, stir to coat in oil and butter and sauté for a short time (1 min)
- Add first 1/2 cup ladle of warm stock to rice
- Stir regularly to prevent sticking.
- As the rice absorbs each ladle of stock, add 1/2 cup more.
- Cook slowly to allow rice to develop a creaminess.
- Chop radicchio into strands. Heat 1Tbls olive oil in skillet
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Toss with tongs until wilted
- Add 1/2 cup white wine
- Cook until wine is absorbed an evaporated.
- Continue adding stock to risotto in 1/2 cup measures until rice is al dente, with the slightest bit of crunch.
- Once rice is done to your taste, remove from heat, stir in butter and parmesan cheese.
- Stir radicchio into risotto or simply use tongs to add to the top of plate or bowl.
NotesThis New Food combines a bit of the old and a bit of the new. We make several different risottos already so when I saw a similar recipe I knew I could simply make our usual Risotto Milanese, sans the saffron, and ad the radicchio. Somehow I just knew that it would all work together even in this modified version and I was right. This is definitely a dish we will make again and it is gives us yet one more risotto variation to add to our Recipes in Rotation.
Originally posted as part of the New Food series on My Word with Douglas E. Welch (http://welchwrite.com/blog/category/new-food/)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Fun appetizers and snacks
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
Classic Chocolate Recipes ElevatedSee More
Holiday "Butt" Stuffing
Pumpkin Pie With Perfect Pie Crust
Nacho Cheese DipSee More