- Cooking Time: depends on cake mix
- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time: 10
BackstoryThis is awesome for a kids birthday, or for anytime really!
- 2 boxes white cake mix(White works best, but I am sure Yellow cake will be fine. You could try 1 box of angel food cake, it would be really beautiful!)
- ***2 cans, ginger ale or sprite (if you want to do the diet route)***
- gel food coloring
- 16 oz whipped topping
- 2 oz instant fat-free sugar-free pudding mix (2 smallish boxes)
- *** If you are following the diet route***Mix the cake mix with the soda according to regular instructions on box. It will be lumpy afterward. Again, you can use any white cake recipe you want, this is just how I do it.
- ***If you don't care about diet, I am right there with you! Just follow the directions on the box and use the eggs and oil.***
- Mixing the colors: Measure equal amounts if you would like, but I just eye it b/c I think its more fun with the way it turns out.
- Stir color into each bowl with its own spoon. For the first color into the pan, measure out 2/3 to 3/4 of your mix (in this case about 1 c) as close to the middle as you can. Drop in your first three colors, then work on the other pan with the last three colors. So if you're doing rainbow order, the first pan should have red, then orange, then yellow, and now the purple, blue and green go into the second pan. As a recap, this is so both layers are roughly the same size.
- Bake the cake as instructed on the box.
- Meanwhile, make your frosting. Just mix the pudding mix in with the whipped topping for a few minutes. Dye if you're into that.
- *** Do not mix frosting until cake is cooled and ready to be frosted. It will be come an unattractive mess!***