- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 15
- Preparation Time: 45
- FOR THE CUPCAKES:
- 1 box (18.25 Oz. Box) White Cake Mix
- 2 whole Eggs
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- ½ cups Milk
- ⅓ cups Vegetable Oil
- Food Coloring
- FOR THE ICING:
- 3 sticks Butter, At Room Temperature
- 6 cups Confectioner's Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 pinch Salt
- 5 Tablespoons Milk
- Combine all cupcake ingredients until incorporated (about 30 seconds). Scrape the sides of the bowl and then beat on medium-high speed for 3 minutes.
- Divide batter according to how many colors you are using. I used 5 colors and it worked out to a little over 1 cup for each color. I used Wilton brand gel colors; they’re the top of the line.
- To get a layered stripe like I used, you’ll want to put a spoonful of each color in the cupcake one at a time. The batter is thick, so it won’t spread on its own. A great tip is to set out a little bowl of water where you’re working. Dip your finger in the water and then gently spread the batter out. The water will make it so the batter doesn’t stick to your fingers.
- Bake according to the package directions, until a toothpick comes out dry. Makes around 15 cupcakes.
- For the icing:
- Add butter and powdered sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and salt. Mix until combined. Gradually add milk (you may not need all of it) and beat for 2-3 minutes until fluffy.
- Frost cooled cupcakes.
NotesBig hit at my nephew's birthday party this weekend - even with the adults :)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
My Family Cookbook
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for BreakfastSee More
Delicious Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
Steamed vegetables saladSee More