- Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Spray
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Dash of Salt
- 3 lbs. very sweet cherries (such as Rainier) pitted
- 1 C all-purpose flour
- 1 C packed light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp finely chopped almonds, toasted
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 7 tbsp chilled butter, cut into small pieces.
- 1) Preheat oven to 400 F
- 2) Place a 9-inch cast-iron skillet in preheated oven; heat 5 minutes. Remove pan from oven, and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- 3) Combine cornstarch, lemon juice, salt and cherries in a large bowl, tossing well to coat. Pour cherry mixture into prepared pan.
- 4) Weight or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through 1/8 tsp of salt) in a medium bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knifes until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle flour mixture over cherries. Place skillet on a jelly-roll pan. Bake at 400 F for 35 minutes or until filling is thick and bubbling and topping is browned. Remove from oven; let stand 20 minutes. Serve warm