- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryMy son loved making these.
- 175g soft unsalted butter
- 200g soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 350g palin flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- biscuit cutters
- 2 non-stick baking sheets
- Approx 300g icing sugar
- water to mix
- Preheat oven to 180oc/gas mark 4
- Cream butter and sugar together well, until almost moussy, then beat in the eggs and almond extract.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter and egg mixture and combine gently but surley. If you think the finished mixture is too sticky to be rolled out, add more flour, but do so sparingly as too much will make the dough tough.
- Halve the dough, form into flat discs. Wrap each in cling film and rest in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Sprinkle a suitable surface with flour and place a disc of dough on top of it, and sprinkle a little more flour on the top. Roll it out to a thickness of about half a centimeter. This dough is such a dream to work with it makes it nice and easy.
- Cut into shapes, dipping the cutter into flour as you go, and place the cut-out biscuits a little apart on the baking sheets.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes, by which time they will be lightly golden around the edges, but otherwise still quite pale. Cool on a rack. They do firm up when they're cold, and continue with the rest.
- Make icing and decorate however you like.