- Cooking Time: 35-40
- Servings: 12-15
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 1/2 cup Shortening
- 2 cups Packed Brown Sugar
- 3 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3 Eggs -- beaten
- Confectioner's Sugar
- In a saucepan, combine raisins and water. Cook until plump. Drain and set aside raisins, reserving 10 tablespoons cooking liquid.
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Combine flour, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt; set aside.
- Combine milk, soda, eggs, and reserved cooking liquid.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk mixture to creamed mixture. Stir in cooked raisins. Pour into a greased 13" x 9" x 2" baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Make Cream Cheese Frosting below and ice cake. Yield: 12 to 15 Servings
NotesThis cake is reminiscent of a cake that my mother used to purchase at the grocery store when I was a young girl. I have been searching for years to taste this cake and finally found it to be very, very close. If you love raisins and a cake that is dense and moist then this one is for you. It also freezes well without the icing and freeze the icing separate. Enjoy!
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & Smoothies
C'mon a my house! (Metric and American measurements for most recipes)
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!See More
Italian White Bean Soup
Butterscotch Hard Candy
Meringue Candy CanesSee More