- Cooking Time: 35-40
- Servings: 12-15
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 1/2 cup Shortening
- 2 cups Packed Brown Sugar
- 3 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3 Eggs -- beaten
- Confectioner's Sugar
- In a saucepan, combine raisins and water. Cook until plump. Drain and set aside raisins, reserving 10 tablespoons cooking liquid.
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Combine flour, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt; set aside.
- Combine milk, soda, eggs, and reserved cooking liquid.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk mixture to creamed mixture. Stir in cooked raisins. Pour into a greased 13" x 9" x 2" baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Make Cream Cheese Frosting below and ice cake. Yield: 12 to 15 Servings
NotesThis cake is reminiscent of a cake that my mother used to purchase at the grocery store when I was a young girl. I have been searching for years to taste this cake and finally found it to be very, very close. If you love raisins and a cake that is dense and moist then this one is for you. It also freezes well without the icing and freeze the icing separate. Enjoy!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Growers' Giveback Potluck
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & SmoothiesSee More
STUFFAT TAL-QARNIT (Octopus Stew)
Frosted Apple Cinnamon Bars
BANANA WELLINGTONSSee More