- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 8 oz. pkg cream cheese - room temp
- 8 oz. unsalted butter - room temp
- 1.5 C flour (approx.)
- 1 egg white mixed with 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 Cups Raisins - soak in enough water (or rum) to cover - for at least 1 hour. - Drain well before using.
- 1 T lard (crisco)
- 8 T flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 T flour
- 2 egg whites
- 2 T confectioners sugar
- Crust: Cream butter and cream cheese till fluffy.
- Add enough flour for a rollable dough.
- Chill 30 minutes. (overnight is ok too)
- Roll crust, put in pie plate, brush with egg white, cover with parchment -add pie weights or dried beans and blind bake @ 350 - 12-15 minutes.
- Cool before using.
- Filling: In a double boiler...Melt fat. Add flour, sugar, salt, milk and yolks - cook over hot water until thick, stirring constantly. Add vanilla.
- Toss raisins with 1 T flour. Fold raisins into filling. Put filling in pie shell.
- Topping: Make meringue with egg whites and confectioners sugar - beat to stiff peak.
- Cover top of pie.
- Bake 350' - 15 minutes - till delicate brown.
NotesFrom the Abenaki Indian Restaurant in New Brunswick.
Note: The crust is different from the original recipe, which was a standard pie crust and they did not always serve it with meringue.
Sauce du Jour Culinary Institution: where every crazy chef gets a sharp knife
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Holidays = Desserts = HappinessSee More
SPOOKY HALLOWEEN TREE
Slow Cooker Beans
Sugar-Free Blackberry White Chocolate Ice CreamSee More