- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryA traditional cream pie recipe that's made with sour cream and rich with raisins.
Preparation time: 25 min Cooking time: 15 min Baking time: 10 min
Yield: 8 servings
- Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup LAND O LAKES® Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter
- Crust Ingredients:
- 1 (9-inch) single deep-dish baked pie shell
- Meringue Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Place raisins in small bowl. Cover with boiling water; let stand 5 minutes to plump raisins. Drain.
- Combine 1 cup sugar, flour and 1/8 teaspoon salt in 4-quart saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until bubbly and thickened (7 to 9 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Place egg yolks in small bowl. Mix well. Gradually stir 1 cup milk mixture into beaten yolks. Return egg mixture to saucepan, stirring constantly. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and coats back of metal spoon (3 to 5 minutes). Continue cooking, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in drained raisins, sour cream and butter. (DO NOT OVER MIX.)
- Combine hot water and cornstarch in 1-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and is clear and thickened (3 to 4 minutes). Cover; place in refrigerator to cool slightly (8 to 10 minutes).
- Heat oven to 350°F. Meanwhile, combine egg whites, cream of tartar and 1/8 teaspoon salt in large mixer bowl. Beat at high speed until foamy (1 to 2 minutes). Continue beating, gradually adding 6 tablespoons sugar until glossy and soft peaks form (5 to 6 minutes). Add cornstarch mixture and vanilla to egg white mixture; beat until smooth (1 to 2 minutes).
- Pour hot raisin filling into baked pie shell. Spread meringue over hot raisin filling, sealing to edges. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on wire rack before serving. Cover; store refrigerated.
- Recipe Tip - For deep-dish baked pie shell, prepare as follows: 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/3 cup cold LAND O LAKES® Butter and 3 to 4 tablespoons water. Combine flour and salt in medium bowl; cut in 1/3 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in enough water with fork just until moistened. Shape into ball. Roll dough into 11-inch circle on lightly floured surface. Place into 9-inch pie plate. Crimp or flute crust. Prick crust all over with fork before baking. Heat oven to 400°F. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool completely. Pour prepared hot filling into baked pie shell; continue as directed above.