- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup shortening (I used butter)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup raspberry jam (used our jam)
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, sweetened
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat oven 350ºF.
- 9 X 13 baking dish ungreased
- In small bowl mix flour and salt together with whisk.
- In mixer bowl beat sugar and shortening(butter) until smooth and creamy. Add egg yolks and beat until combined. Add almond extract. Blend in flour mixture until combined. Take this mixture and spread evenly into baking pan. Bake in oven for 15 minutes.
- 2nd Layer:
- In small bowl stir jam until smooth. Then spread evenly over hot base and top with coconut. Set aside.
- In your mixing bowl add your egg whites and whisk until foamy. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar and until stiff peaks are foamed. Spread this over the 2nd layer evenly and return to oven to bake for 25 minutes, or until top is lightly golden brown. Place on rack to cool cut into bars and store in fridge.
- Makes 36 bars.
NotesI found another recipe from the 1500 Best Bars, Cookies, Muffins, Cakes 7 More. It is actually on the cover of the book. This is a very tasty bar. I think you could make a rhubarb filling for it and a lemon and pineapple filling, even raisin. The sky would be the limit I would think.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Cancun Grilled Chicken Tacos with Citrus Chile Marinade
Perfect baked potatoSee More