- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 70-80
- Preparation Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- For the pastry:
- 1 kg butter
- 500g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1.5kg flour
- pinch salt
- mini muffin pans
- For the creme patissiere:
- 1 Litre full cream milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 200g sugar
- 10 egg yolks
- 80g corn flour
- 5-6 punnets raspberries
- Pastry: Cream the butter & sugar lightly. Add the eggs one at a time & continue creaming until they are combined. Fold in the flour & salt, mixing only until just combined. Wrap in plastic wrap & chill prior to use.
- Roll out pastry to about 3mm thickness. Using a 5cm scone cutter, cut circles of dough out. Use an oil spray to coat mini muffin tins, then place the circles of dough in each hole, pressing them down and tidying the edges. Bake at 180 degrees C for approximately 10 minutes or until slightly golden. You can pie weights if you wish. Allow to cool.
- This recipe makes a lot of pastry! If you have more than you need, just wrap in cling film and put in the freezer for next time.
- Creme Patissiere:
- In a large saucepan, bring the milk, the vanilla bean & half of the sugar to the boil. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl combine the egg yolks, remaining sugar & corn flour. Pour half of the hot milk over the yolks, whisking constantly.
- Bring the remaining milk back to the boil. While whisking quickly pour the yolk mixture into the centre of the pot. The mix will thicken almost immediately. Whisk for 3-5 minutes then pour the custard into a container lined with cling wrap. Cool completely.
- When your pastry cases have chilled, use a tablespoon to fill each with the pastry cream. Top each tart with 3 raspberries and chill until use.
NotesI made these gorgeous tartlets for a wedding in January of this year, by combining a fantastic pastry recipe with a traditional creme patissiere and finishing with fresh raspberries.
Despite it being a 37 degree day, the desserts were very well received by all the guests.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School Cookbook
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert CookbookSee More
Oatmeal-cranberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chicken with Roasted Lemon & Rosemary SauceSee More