- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Rava 1 cup
- moong dal 1/3 cup
- water 4 1/2 cup
- salt 3/4 tsp
- cashews 1 tsp(broken)
- ghee 4 tbs
- curry leaves
- ginger 1/2 tsp
- peppercorn 1 tsp
- cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
- In a dry pan add rava and fry it till raw smell goes off.
- Remove it from the pan and keep aside.
- To the pan, add 2 tsp of ghee and fry peppercorn and cumin for 2 mins at medium heat.
- Grind this to a powder and keep aside.
- Add the remaining ghee and fry cashews, curryleaves, ginger and keep aside.
- In a thick vessel add moong dal and fry till it smells or golden brown.
- Add 1 1/2 cup of water to dal and 1/2 cook.
- In a cooker place a vessel containing remaining water, rava and the seasoning mixture.
- Bring to boil and stir the mixture.
- Add weight and cook it for 8-10 mins.
- Add ghee when it is removed from the stove.
- Eat it with coconut chutney.
NotesPongal is one of the major festivals in South India. Here is a nice detailed info from Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pongal
Note: Rava (or Suji) is made from Semolina, an Indian cuisine made out of coarse ground wheat
Moong Dal:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moong_dal
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2014
It's all about that proteinSee More
Zesty Taco Stew with Cheddar-Stuffed Cornbread Dumplings
Fried OystersSee More