- Cooking Time: 0
- Servings: 2 small bowls
- Preparation Time: 5 mins
Backstoryis is one of the jewels I picked up from Kurma Dasa. This phenomenal raw vegan dip is right up there in my top 5 dips of all time. BIG statement. But true! It is a fantastic example of the “blend and chow in under 5 minutes” philosophy. It is so quick and easy, bursting with flavor, and incredibly versatile. Another added bonus is that the flavor mix is really different from your hog standard store bought dips, and makes a unique addition to the nibble plate at your next dinner.
This “chutney” originates from the South of India. It has a beautiful, rich, creamy texture – you will fool even the most dairy addicted foodie. This is a fantastic “butter” or spread for rice cakes, toast, pita bread, flat bread for wraps, tortilla chips, corn cakes, or veggie sticks. You can also thin this dip out with extra water, and it makes a fantastic creamy dairy free salad dressing. This will keep in the fridge for a few days. This recipe is a quickie staple in my repertoire, and I have never had a disappointed snout. In fact, this would be one of my most requested and remembered recipes.
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked for at least 4 hours
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp fine Celtic sea salt
- one piece of chopped fresh ginger – about 1.5cm piece
- 1 hot green chili – seeds and placental skin removed to get rid of the extreme heat
- 4 Tbsp filtered water, or more for desired consistency
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro/coriander
- Put all of the ingredients except the cilantro and water into a food processor (to maintain a chunky consistency and pulse.
- If you add the cilantro into the food processor the mixture will turn green.
- Gradually add in the filtered water to achieve the desired consistency. A thick creamy dip requires only a little water. Pulse and open to scrape the sides of the carriage in order to mix thoroughly. I continually taste as I pulse, to get just the right blend of flavors. I often keep adding salt, ginger and lemon juice until I get it just right!