RAW OYSTERS ON THE HALF SHELL WITH WASABI EDAMAME DRESSING
- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 30
- 12 oysters (i.e.: Kumamoto, Malpeque, Wellfleet)*
- Crushed ice
- 4 tablespoons Wafu® Wasabi Edamame Japanese Dressing, chilled
- ¾ teaspoon lime rind, very finely chopped
- ¾ teaspoon shallot, very finely chopped
- Scrub oysters under cold water with a wire brush to remove impurities from the shell. The shell should be tightly closed.
- Use a thick kitchen cloth (or special chain mail glove for more protection) to shuck oysters. When shucking try not to lose any of the oyster’s nectar. Keep a bowl on hand to collect the juice.
- Fold the cloth into a square and place it in one hand and securely hold the oyster cup side down, with the oyster’s hinge facing you. Insert an oyster knife between the shells at the hinge and use a twisting motion with the knife to detach the muscle that clamps the shells together. While rotating the oyster, move the knife along the sides of the oyster with the blade moving across the top of the shell. Remove the top shell and scrape any meat left in the top shell into the bottom shell. Detach the oyster from the bottom shell by gently running the blade under it, but leave the oyster in the shell. Remove any shell or grit.
- Prepare a serving platter with crushed ice to keep oysters cold and level. Arrange the half shells on the bed of crushed ice.
- In a small dipping bowl, combine the WAFU® Wasabi Edamame Japanese Dressing and lime rind.
- Place the chopped shallot in a second small bowl.
- Serve with raw oysters.
NotesMove over Mignonette. This oyster accompaniment is a raw delight!