- Cooking Time: 50
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 10
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons baking powder 2 eggs
- 1 cup margarine, melted
- 4 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400'F (200'C)
- In a large bowl mix together the corn meal, flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl mix together the eggs, butter, and buttermilk.
- Add to the dry ingredients and stir until well blended.
- Heat a dry 12 inch cast iron skillet over high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add corn oil to skillet, swirl oil around to coat bottom and sides.
- Leave remaining oil in pan.
- Return to high heat for 1 minute.
- Pour the cornbread batter into the skillet and cook on high heat until bubbles start to form in the center.
- Remove from stove.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm.
Notes"Pure, unsweetened corn bread is first cooked over high heat in a cast-iron skillet before baking into the oven. This is a traditional Southern approach to making this popular bread."
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink Recipes
Food Travels Through ItalySee More
Dark chocolate truffle tart with flax seeds
Khatta Meetha Karela
Roasted Butternut Squash SoupSee More