- Cooking Time: 50
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 10
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons baking powder 2 eggs
- 1 cup margarine, melted
- 4 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400'F (200'C)
- In a large bowl mix together the corn meal, flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl mix together the eggs, butter, and buttermilk.
- Add to the dry ingredients and stir until well blended.
- Heat a dry 12 inch cast iron skillet over high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add corn oil to skillet, swirl oil around to coat bottom and sides.
- Leave remaining oil in pan.
- Return to high heat for 1 minute.
- Pour the cornbread batter into the skillet and cook on high heat until bubbles start to form in the center.
- Remove from stove.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm.
Notes"Pure, unsweetened corn bread is first cooked over high heat in a cast-iron skillet before baking into the oven. This is a traditional Southern approach to making this popular bread."