- Cooking Time: 50
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 10
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons baking powder 2 eggs
- 1 cup margarine, melted
- 4 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400'F (200'C)
- In a large bowl mix together the corn meal, flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl mix together the eggs, butter, and buttermilk.
- Add to the dry ingredients and stir until well blended.
- Heat a dry 12 inch cast iron skillet over high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add corn oil to skillet, swirl oil around to coat bottom and sides.
- Leave remaining oil in pan.
- Return to high heat for 1 minute.
- Pour the cornbread batter into the skillet and cook on high heat until bubbles start to form in the center.
- Remove from stove.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm.
Notes"Pure, unsweetened corn bread is first cooked over high heat in a cast-iron skillet before baking into the oven. This is a traditional Southern approach to making this popular bread."
Life on a Beach Easy Seafood Cooking at Home
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
Girl Scout Campfire Cookbook Troop 60252See More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More