- Cooking Time: 20 min
- Servings: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 30 mins
BackstoryIf you don’t live in Spain, you may be surprised to hear that the so-called Spanish Omelettes served in all major hotels as a breakfast item is not a dish eaten in Spanish homes or restaurants at all. The real Spanish Omelette (called Tortilla Española or Tortilla de Patatas in Spanish) is made mainly from potatoes and eggs. It looks like a quiche or a pie.
- 4 1/2 cups new potatoes
- 1 onion, preferably white
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 eggs
- Scrape the potatoes or leave the skins on, if you prefer. Cut them into thick slices.
- Dice onion and sauté it in plenty of olive oil on medium heat until fragrant.
- Put the potatoes in the oil and continue to cook over medium heat until they are cooked to the point that they are soft on the outside, but still a little bit hard in the middle. (Note: the more health conscious people will boil the potatoes instead but it will not taste as good obviously.)
- Remove the potatoes and onion and drain through a colander into a large bowl (set the strained oil aside).
- Beat eggs with a fork very lightly (just to mix) on the side.
- Once the potatoes are cool enough to touch, add the eggs to the potatoes.
- Add salt to the mixture to taste.
- Heat a non-stick (very important!) large frying pan on medium low heat,
- heat a little of the strained oil, add the above mixture to the pan. (Note: It is important to choose the right sized frying pan. The omelette should be about 2 1/2" thick when it is set.)
- Here comes the trickiest part of the whole procedure. When the eggs are cooked almost all the way to the top, but still runny on the top, cover the frying pan with a bigger plate with the down side up. Remove the frying pan and flip it over so the omelette falls out on the plate (now you will appreciate a REAL non-stick frying pan). Put the frying pan back on the heat, and slide the half-cooked omelette back to the frying pan.
- It should take not more than 8 minutes for the omelette to set completely.
- When it is done, you can flip it over to the serving plate and cut it like a pie. Don’t cut it while it is still hot, or it will crumble. Let set at least 10 Min..