Really Sweet and Sour Chicken
1 fryer, skinned and cut into pieces
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon garlic salt
¼ cup ketchup
1 teaspoon soy sauce
⅛ cup cider vinegar
⅓ cup light brown sugar
1 tomato, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 medium-sized can pineapple chunks (reserve juice for sauce)
½ tablespoon (or more) cornstarch
Steamed white rice (accompaniment)
⅓ cup chopped green onions (garnish
1. In a large skillet, brown the chicken in the oil; remove chicken and set aside.
2. Add the garlic salt, reserved pineapple juice, ketchup, soy sauce, vinegar, and brown sugar to the skillet; simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add the tomato, green pepper, and pineapple chunks; heat thoroughly.
4. Make a paste of cornstarch and water; pour into skillet and stir until thickened.
5. Return chicken to the skillet and reheat on medium-low.
6. Serve over rice and garnish with the green onions