Red Lobster's Shrimp Gumbo
Why I Love This Recipe
I love love love! this recipe. Delicious and wonderful on a cold winter day
Ingredients You'll Need
* 1-1/2 cups melted butter
* 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 cups chopped onions, cut into 3/8" pieces
* 1 cup chopped green peppers, cut into 3/8" pieces
* 1 cup chopped celery, cut into 3/8" pieces
* 1 lb. Andouille sausage, cut into 1/2" pieces
* 1/2 lb. Tasso smoked meat, cut into 1/2" pieces
* 1 tbsp. paprika
* 3 tbsp. "Emeril's Bayou Blast" seasoning
* 2 tsp. gumbo file, ground
* 1 tsp. ground Ancho pepper (optional for extra heat)
* 10 cups cold chicken stock or broth
* 2 tbsp. brown sugar
* 2 bay leaves
* 1/2 lb. shrimp, cleaned and peeled with tails removed
* Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Combine the melted butter and flour in a large heavy pot, stirring constantly over media heat. Cook until the roux is a dark, chocolate brown color (about 20 to 25 minutes).
2. Add the chopped onions, green peppers, celery, Andouille sausage and Tasso smoked meat. Cook, stirring continuously, until the vegetables are very soft (about 8 to 10 minutes).
3. Add the paprika, the "Emeril's Bayou Blast" and the gumbo file. If you want a spicier dish, add the Ancho pepper. Cook for about 1-2 minutes.
4. Add the cold chicken stock or broth. Stir until the roux mixture and the broth are well combined.
5. Add the bay leaves and the brown sugar, bringing the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
6. Add shrimp to the soup approximately 15 to 20 minutes prior to serving (size of the shrimp will determine how long they need to cook). Add salt and pepper to taste.