- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package white cake mix
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (9-ounce) package yellow cake mix*
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons liquid red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat first 4 ingredients according to cake mix package directions.
- Beat yellow cake mix and next 6 ingredients according to package directions. Spoon red batter alternately with white batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans. Swirl batter gently with a knife.Bake at 350° for 22 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks.
- Spread Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. (Cake may be chilled up to 2 days or frozen up to 1 month.) Garnish, if desired. Serve within 2 hours.
NotesRecipe from Southern Living, DECEMBER 1998
*1 3/4 cups yellow cake mix may be substituted
If cake is frozen, thaw completely before garnishing to prevent crushed candy from running. Do not refrigerate after garnishing.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Adventures in Cooking
Holidays = Desserts = HappinessSee More
Super-Simple Snickers Pies
Cilantro Pork Tamales
PUmpkin Carrot Swirl BarsSee More