- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryRecipe from Southern Living, DECEMBER 1998
*1 3/4 cups yellow cake mix may be substituted
If cake is frozen, thaw completely before garnishing to prevent crushed candy from running. Do not refrigerate after garnishing.
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package white cake mix
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (9-ounce) package yellow cake mix*
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons liquid red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat first 4 ingredients according to cake mix package directions.
- Beat yellow cake mix and next 6 ingredients according to package directions. Spoon red batter alternately with white batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans. Swirl batter gently with a knife.Bake at 350° for 22 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks.
- Spread Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. (Cake may be chilled up to 2 days or frozen up to 1 month.) Garnish, if desired. Serve within 2 hours.