- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 15
BackstoryThese creative and colorful dessert bars – made with the sweet flavors and nourishment of canned blueberries and pineapple – are the perfect finish to your summer holiday celebration.
- 1 can (15 ounces) wild blueberries in water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups low-fat granola cereal with raisins and nuts
- 2 tablespoons melted margarine or butter
- 1 package (8 ounces) low-fat cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple in its own juice, drained
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream*
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberries, stemmed and cut in half
- Drain blueberries over a medium saucepan. Whisk cornstarch into blueberry juice. Cook juice until it comes to a simmer and thickens. Add blueberries and cook until mixture returns to a simmer. Cool.
- In work bowl of food processor fitted with a metal blade, pulse cereal until crushed. Add margarine, and pulse until combined. Press granola mixture into bottom of an 11x7-inch baking dish. Chill.
- In medium bowl, beat cream cheese and ginger until light and fluffy. Add pineapple and beat until combined. In separate bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla. Fold whipping cream into cream cheese mixture and stir until combined. Pour over crust. Spoon blueberries on top of cream cheese mixture in three diagonal lines. Garnish with strawberries. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- * 1 1/2 cups non-dairy, whipped topping may be substituted for the whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 290; Total fat 17g; Saturated fat 9g; Cholesterol 45mg; Sodium 210mg; Total carbohydrate 30g; Fiber 4g; Protein 6g; Vitamin A 15%DV*; Vitamin C 25%DV; Calcium 6%DV; Iron *%DV
- *Daily Value