- Cooking Time: 10 to 12
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- red and blue food colorings
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium, beat butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in egg, walnuts and orange juice.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture.
- Shape dough into a ball; wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for 30 minutes.
- On a floured surface, divide dough into 3 equal sections.
- Knead red food coloring into 1 dough section; knead blue food coloring into another section. Leave the remaining section plain.
- Line a 9- x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment or waxed paper.
- Line the bottom of the prepared pan with blue dough.
- Top blue dough with plain dough.
- Top plain dough with red dough.
- Cover pan with foil and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
- Remove dough from pan.
- Using a large knife, slice dough into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Place slices on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until firm to the touch, 10-12 minutes.
- Place baking sheets on wire racks; cool slightly. Transfer cookies to racks; cool completely.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Decadent Desserts Made From
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)See More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More