- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryPlease read my blog on garlic before trying this.
This vinegar makes incredible salad dressings!
- 1 bottle red wine vinegar (I use Delallo)
- 1 bottle white wine vinegar (again Delallo)
- 6 garlic cloves, cleaned with only the very ends cut off.
- Pour both bottles of vinegar into a saucepan.
- Put the garlic in the bottom of a jar that's big enough to hold all of the vinegar and can be sealed tight.
- Cook the vinegar until it's almost boiling, but don't let it boil, stirring every so often.
- Pour the vinegar into the jar over the garlic.
- Allow it to cool before sealing - I wait until the steam has stopped rising.
- Put a piece of plastic wrap over the opening and close the lid tight.
- Let it steep for at least four weeks, spinning around the vinegar every so often to keep the garlic moving.
- After steeping, put a strainer over a saucepan. Pour the vinegar into the saucepan through the strainer. Throw out the garlic cloves.
- Pour it back into the jar. Put a coffee filter in the strainer and pour the vinegar back through it. Repeat, going back and forth until clear - usually 3 times does it.
- Pour it into a clean bottle and you're done.