- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6 - 8
- Preparation Time:
- 2 c dried red kidney beans
- 1 T solid vegetable shortening
- 1 c chopped onion
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 4 T beef base (bouillon) granules
- 1 T sugar
- 1 t black pepper
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t liquid smoke, if desired
- Hot cooked rice
- Soak beans in cold water overnight.
- The next day, drain beans well and transfer to large pot.
- Cover beans with fresh water; bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer uncovered one hour.
- Do not drain.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat shortening; add onion and cook five minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook five minutes longer.
- Add onion/beef mixture to cooked beans and bean liquid.
- Stir in beef base granules, sugar, pepper, garlic powder, and liquid smoke, if desired.
- Continue to simmer until beans are tender, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.
NotesThis recipe was taken from a newspaper review, posted on the wall of Louisiana Creole Gumbo, located at the corner of Gratiot and St. Aubin, near Eastern Market in Detroit, Michigan. I have never had better red beans and rice than from this hole-in-the-wall takeout joint. I would highly recommend adding shrimp or cajun (andouille) sausage near the end. Don't forget to pair this with your favorite cornbread recipe. And if you are ever in downtown Detroit, you must stop in. (They now accept credit and debit cards!) :)
A Gluten Free Christmas with Gluten Free Mama
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and Cakes
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or PartySee More
Chicken and onion kabobs
Easy Sunday Pot Roast
Shrimp Nachos with Avocado-Corn RelishSee More