- Cooking Time: 4 hrs
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 1 day
- 3c dried Dark Red Kidney Beans, soaked overnight in 8c water, drained and picked over.
- 1/2-1lb Fatback, Salt Pork or Bacon, diced
- 1lg sweet Onion, chopped
- 3-6cloves Garlic, minced or crushed
- Salt & Pepper
- 1can crushed Tomatoes
- 1tblsp Chili-Garlic paste (or A-Ha chili paste, or Indian chili paste- whatever you happen to like/have in fridge)
- 1tsp Cayenne
- 2tblsps Black Molasses
- splash of Cider Vinegar
- 6c +/- Water
- cooked Rice to serve
- In Dutch oven, cook pork til done but not crisp.
- Add onion, garlic; saute w/meat & fat til transluscent and aromatic.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Add tomatoes and chili paste, cayenne, molasses and splash of cider to taste.
- Add beans and water.
- Bring to a boil; cook, stirring frequently, 20-30min.
- Reduce heat to very low; simmer, covered, 2-4hrs, stirring frequently, adding water as necessary.
- As you simmer, you can mash beans w/back of spoon as the become more tender if you prefer. I mash mine some, but still like a little chunk to them.
- Serve over rice, w/some Hot Sauce on the side!
NotesI LUUUURVE beans. They're so easy to make so many different ways, and so GOOD for you! Call it peasant food- whatev. I love them. TAKE THE TIME to get dried beans and soak them (they're cheaper, besides!). The twist I added was the MOLASSES, at the suggestion of my bro-in-law, who's also quite the southern-leaning, peasant food afficionado himself.