RED FLANNEL HASH NAPOLEONS
- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 30
- 12 ounces puff pastry*
- 3 slices smoked bacon, diced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 1/2 cups canned, sliced grade A fancy beets, drained
- 3 cups canned corned beef hash
- Vegetable oil, as needed
- *For frozen puff pastry sheets, use part of the package; thaw before using.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Roll out puff pastry 3/8-inch thick; cut into 9, 3-inch circles*. Place circles on parchment-lined baking sheet, one-inch apart. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until puffed and golden. Cool; cut in half horizontally to make 18 thinner circles.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp; remove with slotted spoon, leaving bacon drippings in the pan. Set bacon aside on paper towel to drain. Add onions to pan; sauté until golden brown. Add reserved bacon to onions. Remove half the onion mixture; reserve. Add beats to onion mixture remaining in pan and heat thoroughly. Keep warm.
- In a separate large skillet, combine hash and reserved onion mixture. Brown over medium heat, adding oil as needed.
- For each serving, place 1 puff pastry circle on plate; top with a heaping tablespoon of hash and 2 to 3 beet slices. Repeat layers, ending with a third puff pastry circle. Garnish plate with a few beet slices.
- Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 600; Total fat 39g; Saturated fat 12g; Cholesterol 45mg; Sodium 880mg; Carbohydrate 45g; Fiber 4g; Protein 17g; Vitamin A 0%DV*; Vitamin C 10% DV; Calcium 4%DV; Iron 25%DV
- *Daily Value
NotesRed Flannel Hash Napoleons make for a simply beautiful and delicious breakfast dish. The savory, beet-infused corned beef hash – combined with the smoked bacon and served atop a flakey puffed pastry – makes for a sophisticated, yet fun morning treat.