- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons beef-stock base
- 6 oz. portabella mushrooms
- 6 oz. shiitake mushrooms
- 8 oz. button mushrooms
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. chopped garlic
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup diced yellow onions
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. cooking sherry
- 2 qts. beef stock
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- Beef stock: Place 2 quarts water and 2 tablespoons beef-stock base in a saucepot and simmer until beef-stock base has dissolved. Remove stock from the heat and allow it to cool until it is refrigerator temperature.
- Wash all mushrooms in lukewarm water in a deep bowl. Mix the mushrooms well to loosen the dirt. Remove them from the water by hand, leaving the dirt behind.
- 3. Remove the stems from the shiitake mushrooms, and then slice all of the mushrooms ?- inch thick. Keep the button mushrooms separate from the others.
- Heat a 6-8 quart saucepot over moderately high heat. Pour in the melted butter. Add button mushrooms and diced yellow onions to hot butter and cook until mushrooms are soft.
- Add the remaining mushrooms and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the sherry and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and add the flour. Using a cooking spoon, mix well and cook for 2 minutes or until butter and flour (roux) start cooking away from the sides of the saucepot.
- Add half of the cold beef stock and stir until liquid thickens.
- Add the remainder of the stock and spices and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the cream and allow soup to simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and Cakes
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at PesahSee More
Honey Cake (mézeskalács) As My Mother Makes
Delicious, flaky, lard-free pie crustSee More