- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons beef-stock base
- 6 oz. portabella mushrooms
- 6 oz. shiitake mushrooms
- 8 oz. button mushrooms
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. chopped garlic
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup diced yellow onions
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. cooking sherry
- 2 qts. beef stock
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- Beef stock: Place 2 quarts water and 2 tablespoons beef-stock base in a saucepot and simmer until beef-stock base has dissolved. Remove stock from the heat and allow it to cool until it is refrigerator temperature.
- Wash all mushrooms in lukewarm water in a deep bowl. Mix the mushrooms well to loosen the dirt. Remove them from the water by hand, leaving the dirt behind.
- 3. Remove the stems from the shiitake mushrooms, and then slice all of the mushrooms ?- inch thick. Keep the button mushrooms separate from the others.
- Heat a 6-8 quart saucepot over moderately high heat. Pour in the melted butter. Add button mushrooms and diced yellow onions to hot butter and cook until mushrooms are soft.
- Add the remaining mushrooms and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the sherry and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and add the flour. Using a cooking spoon, mix well and cook for 2 minutes or until butter and flour (roux) start cooking away from the sides of the saucepot.
- Add half of the cold beef stock and stir until liquid thickens.
- Add the remainder of the stock and spices and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the cream and allow soup to simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
Recipes for VitalitySee More
Easy Graham Cracker Ginger Bread House
Pecan Almond MuffinsSee More