- Cooking Time: 0
- Servings: 7 cups
- Preparation Time: 10
- 6 red potatoes (medium size)
- 3/4 cup sweet pickles
- 2 stalks celery
- 1/2 red onion (medium size)
- 1 bell pepper (orange, red, or yellow)
- 1 small bunch green onions
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 3/4 cup Vegenaise (vegan mayo)
- 2 tbsp. pickle juice
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. sriracha (optional)
- Fill a big soup pot with cold water and add a generous sprinkle of salt to the water. Leaving the skin on, chop the potatoes into bite-sized cubes (making sure they are all about the same size). Bring the water up to a boil and allow the potatoes to cook for about 8-10 more minutes until they are easy to spear with a fork. Drain the potatoes in a colander and set aside to cool.
- Cut up the bell pepper, onion, celery, and pickles into a small dice and toss them together in a large mixing bowl. Chop up the parsley and green onions and add them in. In a smaller bowl, mash up the avocado with a fork and mix it with the Vegenaise, lemon juice, mustard, Sriracha hot sauce, and pickle juice. Add it to the vegetables in the big bowl, sprinkle in the black pepper, stir well, then add in the cooked potatoes and gently mix together. Give it a taste and adjust seasonings as necessary (you might want a sprinkle of salt in there). Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. It tastes best when it’s cold!
- Tip: The Sriracha added to this recipe ends up being a subtle heat that you taste at the end of each bite. If you’re not big on spicy foods or would rather have a completely non-spicy potato salad, then simply leave it out.
NotesOne note about the recipe before I begin…I got the idea to add pickle juice to potato salad from a lovely gluten-free blog called Healthful Pursuit. I am such a sucker for pickles, and the addition of a few tablespoons of pickle juice really makes this salad special.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Carmelized Banana Tart (Land O Lakes)
Betty Crocker Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Cupcakes
Chinese Chicken WingsSee More