- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (1-ounce) bottle red food coloring
- 1 recipe Cream-Cheese Icing (recipe follows) (I used my Whipped Cream Frosting instead
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour cookie sheet with rim. (Mine measured 13 x 29-inches)
- 2. In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- 3. Add eggs, oil, buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla extract, and red food coloring; beat at medium speed with electric mixer until combined.
- 4. Spread batter onto cookie sheet.
- 4. Bake 20 minutes, or until a tester inserted near center comes out clean.
- 6. Let cool in pan 10 minutes. Using a 2-1/2-inch round cookie cutter, cut as many as you can from the baked cake. Use the bits and pieces for the cake crumb edging.
- 7. Use the icing of your choice. Mine is just a stabilized whipped cream
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Cooking with Sabra
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake RecipeSee More
Dark chocolate truffle tart with flax seeds
Khatta Meetha Karela
Roasted Butternut Squash SoupSee More