- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (1-ounce) bottle red food coloring
- 1 recipe Cream-Cheese Icing (recipe follows) (I used my Whipped Cream Frosting instead
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour cookie sheet with rim. (Mine measured 13 x 29-inches)
- 2. In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- 3. Add eggs, oil, buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla extract, and red food coloring; beat at medium speed with electric mixer until combined.
- 4. Spread batter onto cookie sheet.
- 4. Bake 20 minutes, or until a tester inserted near center comes out clean.
- 6. Let cool in pan 10 minutes. Using a 2-1/2-inch round cookie cutter, cut as many as you can from the baked cake. Use the bits and pieces for the cake crumb edging.
- 7. Use the icing of your choice. Mine is just a stabilized whipped cream
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Girl Scout Campfire Cookbook Troop 60252
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Cinnamon-Apple Chex® Mix
Very Berry Crumble Pie
Salmon Hobo PacksSee More