- Cooking Time: 20-25
- Servings: 8 tall slices
- Preparation Time: 20
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ounce red food colouring
- 3 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
For the frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups icing sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- *1 cup chopped pecans, optional
- Preheat to 350.
- Cream shortening and sugar, add eggs beating well after each one. Mix in food colouring, vinegar and vanilla.
- Whisk the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Combine the flour mix with the creamed mix, alternately with the buttermilk.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9" cake pans and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool for (at least) 10 minutes before slipping out of pans and cooling on racks.
- Now, onto the frosting! Mix all ingredients, beat till smooth and creamy. Voila! We also chopped about a cup of pecans and sprinkled them over the iced cake.
NotesOne of my dearest friends really embraces my sillyness, and my self-inflicted cake challenge is one of those things she rallied behind for me! I was on the last leg of our family Christmas road trip when I got a text from her that she had a recipe in hand and wanted the first cake of Cake Year to be red velvet - and how soon could she come over and bake it with me?! She was at my house with her man and my sister, and together the four of us baked up this lovely creation.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and Cakes
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
Growers' Giveback PotluckSee More
Poblano Macaroni and Cheese
Betty Crocker Raspberry-Lemon Fruit Dip
The Barefoot Contessas Pan Fried Onion DipSee More