- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- for the cake:
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 ounces red food coloring (no less!)
- 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- for the frosting: 1 pound cream cheese
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 pounds confectionary sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- sift the dry & blend the wet.
- slowly add dry to wet, but be wary not to overmix, this cake can be compared to a biscuit, overmixing will toughen this quick!
- pour into two 9-inch round cake pans that have been sprayed generously with veggie oil spray/ dust lightly with flour. bake 30 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven, or until the toothpick trick works (took me about 40 to reach doneness in an electric oven)
- while the baking is taking.. cream together the cream cheese and butter, adding confectionary sugar (add only as much as the bowl/stand mixer will handle or you'll end up like elliot blitzer in true romance..) after it's all a big sticky blob of goodness, turn the motor on high and cream for 5 minutes, until fluffly, yes fluffly. turn down, add vanilla, turn up fo a minute more, refrigerate.
- take out the cakes, cool completely on wire racks. once cooled, split each cake in four layers and ice. decorate and prepare to be mezmerized.
Notesthis cake is my adaptation from what we bakers and chefs know as recipe trial and error and process of elimination. ive never seen a red velvet cake made with yogurt, but if you ever have the stuff around, waiting to expire, replace most of your oil with it, it cuts on fat and provides for moistness you won't believe. i use soy!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Jean’s Recipe File
Sailstad Family Cookbook
culinary karmaSee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More