- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time: 20
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) McCormick® Red Food Color
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) round cake pans.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Beat butter and granulated sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Mix in sour cream, milk, food color and vanilla.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until just blended. Do not overbeat.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire rack.
NotesMoist and luscious, classic red velvet cake is as delightful to behold as it is to eat!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
$30 Wine+Food Pairings
Breads and Pastry 101
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Prickly Pear Margarita
Creamy Candy Bar Dessert
Hector's HurricanesSee More