RED VELVET CUPCAKES W/ CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Red Velvet Cupcakes w/ Cream Cheese Frosting
- - 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- - 1 1/2 cups sugar
- - 1 teaspoon baking soda
- - 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- - 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- - 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- - 2 large eggs, room temperature
- - 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- - 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- - 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- - 1 pound cream cheese, softened (1 pkg)
- - 2 sticks butter, softened
- - 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
Preheat the oven to 350*F. Line 2 (12 cup) muffin pans w/ cupcake papers (or regular cake pans).
In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. In a large bowl gently beat together the oil, buttermilk, egs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla with a handheld electric mixer. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.
Divide the batter evenly among the cupake tins about 2/3 filled. Bake in oven for about 20 to 22 minutes, turning the pans once, halfway through. Test the cupakes w/ a toothpick for doneness.
Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting Directions:
In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla together until smooth. Add the sugar and on low speed, beat until incorporated. Increase the speed to high and mix until very light and fluffy.
Website Credit: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/red-velvet-cupcakes-with-cream-cheese-frosting-recipe/index.html