RED VELVET CUPCAKES
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes or so
- Servings: 12 regular or 24 mini
- Preparation Time: 15-20 minutes
- For the Cake
- 1 c. flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 c. sugar
- 1/3. c. oil
- 4 oz. beet juice or 2 tbsp. red food coloring
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- The Frosting
- 1/4 c. Mascrapone Cream Cheese
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter
- 2-3 tsp milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2-3 c. powdered sugar
For the Cake
1. Set the oven at 350º and line a one-dozen cupcake pan (I spray my liners with oil to prevent sticking when you eat them.)
2. Sift together the dry ingredients not including the sugar.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the buttermilk and vinegar together.
4. Mix your sugar, oil, extracts and beet juice.
3. Add the soymilk/vinegar and mix until combined.
4. Fold wet into the dry ingredients. Then use a mixer to get out the lumps 1-2 minutes.
5. Fill the cupcake pan and bake 20-22 minutes, cupcakes will be reddish brown.
Cream the vanilla, cream cheese and butter together. Hand mix the sugar a little at a time to prevent dust. Add the milk to improve texture. Use a hand mixer to whip it to a nice even consistency. Continue to add sugar or milk til you have nice stiff peaks.
After assembly I like to do a little cocoa powder to garnish.