- Cooking Time: 3hrs
- Preparation Time: 1 day
- 1-2c dried Beans- preferably majority PINTOS, but I also tossed in a pinch of Reds, Navies, Blacks and Kidneys
- Water- to soak beans overnight
- Utensil - either an old-fashioned Potato Ricer or an Immersion Blender
- 1-3cans Vegetable Broth
- add'l Water, as needed
- (Kosher) Salt & Pepper
- 1can diced Tomatoes w/Green Chilis
- Chili Powder
- Onion Powder or Minced Onion
- Cayenne Pepper
- Hot Sauce
- Crushed Garlic
- * Soak beans overnight, adding water as needed so that they remain covered at all times w/water as they plump.
- * Rinse beans in cold water; add to large Dutch oven or other cooking pot.
- * Add broth, as much as you wish or have on-hand, to cover beans, adding water if need be; add generous pinch or 2 of salt and bring to a rolling boil.
- * Boil for 1hr, stirring frequently and adding liquid as needed to keep beans from burning but be careful to not make TOO SOUPY.
- * Towards the end of the hour as beans begin to tender, begin scraping and mashing w/ricer (or immersion blender if you have one- I don't, but I have before- gave it to my kid to make smoothies when she moved out)
- * At this point, beans should be beginning to thicken; reduce heat, add tomatoes and season to your liking w/garlic and onion and hot stuff; add more liquid if TOO thick as beans are not yet tender/pasty enough.
- * Cover and simmer on very low heat, mashing (or blending) continuously for another hour +/- (will depend on how much beans you decided to start out with).
- * Beans are done when they are all very tender and mashed up to a nice, pasty consistency; don't worry about some kidneys and blacks sneaking thru unscathed- they make for a nice texture/color contrast- the pintos and reds will mash down nicely.
- * Serve over rice of your choice, maybe with a nice piece of grilled Chorizo (but then it's not vegetarian anymore)!
NotesHonestly, I don't know why making beans this way is called refried, as I don't fry them the first time, let alone re-frying them. So maybe they're not REAL Refried Beans? I dunno- I just like them this way!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
Basic Blends: Healthy Juicing Recipes
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law LibrariesSee More
Mexican Wedding Cakes
Classic Beef Stew
chocolate peanut butter cream cheese fillingSee More