RHODE ISLAND STYLE FRIED CALIMARI
- 4 cups canola oil
- 4 ounces olive oil
- 4 ounces butter
- 1 cup sliced pepperoncini
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup clam juice
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 round loaf sourdough bread
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 12 ounces calamari, tubes and tentacles, cut in 1/4-inch thick
- 3 ounces diced Roma tomatoes
- 3 ounces chopped scallions
Heat canola oil in a deep pot to 350 degrees F.
In a skillet over high heat, combine olive oil, butter, pepperoncini and onion. Saute until lightly caramelized, then add garlic and cook until tender.
Deglaze with white wine and cook until slightly reduced.
Add the clam juice, red pepper, and lower heat to a simmer.
Core out bread and lightly toast the bread bowl. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix cornstarch, flour, seasoning salt and cayenne. Toss calamari in flour and shake off excess.
Fry calamari in oil until golden brown and crispy.
Toss fried calamari with the sauce and pour into the toasted bread bowl. Garnish with Roma tomatoes and scallions.