- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cup rhubarb, cut into 2 cm lengths
- 2 cups apples, peeled, cored and cut into wedges
- 2 cups Cherries, sliced in half removing pit.
- (You can put any combination of these you wish.)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Buttermilk and Cinnamon pastry:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp. butter, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Fruit Filling:
- Preheat oven to 375F. Rinse rhubarb, drain and transfer to a bowl. Add apples, cherries, sugar, honey, corn starch and lemon juice and stir to combine, then place in a oven-proof baking dish.
- Buttermilk and cinnamon pastry:
- In bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, 1 tsp. cinnamon & butter. Use pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk until dough comes together, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Roll out to 4mm thick (1/8" thick), use a 7cm (2 1/2" pastry cutter). Cut out rounds and arrange over rhubarb mixture, overlapping slightly. Brush tops with a little extra buttermilk.
- Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl, scatter over pastry and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until fruit is bubbling and pastry is golden and risen.
- Serves 6
- Serve with cream or ice cream
NotesDan found this recipe on Gourmet Traveller. He added cherries to it. When he makes it again he would double the cobbler part so it is thicker. This combination of fruit was really good. The cherries off set the tartness of the rhubarb and the apples added a nice texture as well. This will definitely be made again. In typing out the recipe, Dan forgot to add the sugar and cinnamon on the top of the cobbler. So, do not forget to add yours. :)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Recipes for VitalitySee More
Delicious Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
Steamed vegetables saladSee More