- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 30
BackstoryA layered dessert with custard-like texture baked into a deliciously sweet, but mildly tart crisp.
- 6 cups fresh rhubarb, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tapioca, quick-cooking
- 2 teaspoons orange rind (lemon can be substituted)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups fresh white bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Place cut pieces of rhubarb, sugar, tapioca, orange rind, and salt into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Prepare soft, fresh breadcrumbs in food processor or blender by tearing each bread slice into quarters, placing in blender and shredding into a granular to fine mixture of crumbs. Note: 1 pound of fresh white bread equals approximately 8 cups of bread crumbs, crusts included. Store any remainder in freezer for future use.
- Melt butter for the breadcrumbs.
- In separate bowl, add breadcrumbs and then melted butter and vanilla.
- Mix the ingredients together.
- Spray or coat 1 1/2 quart casserole with cooking spray or butter.
- Begin to layer ingredients starting with one-half of the rhubarb mixture and then half of the breadcrumbs mixture followed by the remaining half of the rhubarb and then the remaining breadcrumbs, resulting in four layers of ingredients.
- The breadcrumbs on top create a crisp topping for the dessert.
- Cover the casserole dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then remove casserole lid to allow the dessert to bake an additional 10 minutes until bread topping is golden brown.
- Serve warm, and if desired, garnish with a whipped topping or ice cream on the side.