- Cooking Time: 35 to 40 minutes
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, (she called for shortening)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract or almond extract (used almond extract)
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 or 3 cups diced rhubarb
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts ( used slivered almonds)
- In your stand mixer cream sugars and butter (shortening) until creamy. Beat in egg. Add sour cream and almond extract. Combine until just mixed.
- In small bowl combine flour, baking soda and baking powder with a whisk.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture and blend until just mixed.
- Take off mixer and fold in rhubarb
- Pour into 9" X 9" baking pan.
- Sprinkle topping to top of cake.
- Bake 350º for 35 to 40 minutes, or until tootpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If you are using frozen rhubarb bake 15 minutes longer.
- Server warm.
NotesAt our library I found a series of cookbooks by Edna Staebler: Cakes and Frostings with Schmecks Appeal. There are 12 cookbooks in this series. Rhubarb is my favorite fruit so when I saw this recipe and decided to try it. It was so worth the try. Moist with a hint of rhubarb and the crunch of the topping. I will be making this one again when the rhubarb is ready. Frozen was used for this cake.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013
Angel Acres Soup & Chili Cookbook
Adventures in CookingSee More
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Fudgy Caramel DelightSee More