- Cooking Time: 35 to 40 minutes
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, (she called for shortening)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract or almond extract (used almond extract)
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 or 3 cups diced rhubarb
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts ( used slivered almonds)
- In your stand mixer cream sugars and butter (shortening) until creamy. Beat in egg. Add sour cream and almond extract. Combine until just mixed.
- In small bowl combine flour, baking soda and baking powder with a whisk.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture and blend until just mixed.
- Take off mixer and fold in rhubarb
- Pour into 9" X 9" baking pan.
- Sprinkle topping to top of cake.
- Bake 350º for 35 to 40 minutes, or until tootpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If you are using frozen rhubarb bake 15 minutes longer.
- Server warm.
NotesAt our library I found a series of cookbooks by Edna Staebler: Cakes and Frostings with Schmecks Appeal. There are 12 cookbooks in this series. Rhubarb is my favorite fruit so when I saw this recipe and decided to try it. It was so worth the try. Moist with a hint of rhubarb and the crunch of the topping. I will be making this one again when the rhubarb is ready. Frozen was used for this cake.
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink Recipes
DIY Tasty Gift IdeasSee More
Broccoli Chicken Casserole
SLOW COOKER BBQ COUNTRY RIBS
TUNA PARFAIT ON JAPANESE SWEET POTATO TEMPURA AND TEMPURA GREEN ONIONS WITH SAKE SOY GLAZESee More