- Cooking Time: 50 min
- Servings: 8 servings
- Preparation Time: 15 min
- 4 1/2 cups of 1/2 inch slices rhubarb
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons melted butter
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cup boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Scatter rhubarb evenly into pan.
- Sift together flour, 1 1/2 cups sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Beat in melted butter, milk and vanilla.
- Beat in the egg.
- Batter will be quite thick.
- Drop batter over rhubarb by heaping Tablespoons, then gently spread to fill pan.
- For the topping, combine 1 cup sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Gently pour the boiling water (here's the magic part!!) over all.
- Bake about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the batter part comes out clean.
- Enjoy with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream on top!
NotesIt's gotta be magic when you dump a cup of boiling water over the top of your ingredients right before baking - and it turns into cake.
This recipe came from Mrs.George. She & my Mother were very good friends while we lived in Ill. Mr. & Mrs. George later moved to West Tennessee, where they both died.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Food Travels Through Italy
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!
Short & SweetSee More
Paul’s Chicken Marsala Modified from www.allrecipes.com
Smiling Jack SandwichSee More