RHUBARB OAT BARS
- Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- Servings: 16 bars
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 4 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- In a large saucepan, combine rhubarb, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 3 tablespoons water and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until rhubarb is tender.
- Combine the cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into rhubarb mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, coconut, salt and remaining brown sugar. Stir in butter until mixture is crumbly. Press half of the mixture into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Spread with rhubarb mixture. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture and press down lightly.
- Bake at 350 F. for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Yield: 16 bars.
- Note: If using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
NotesRhubarb Oat Bars
Rhubarb season is almost over here, where I live. I have enough in my freezer to see me through the winter. I saved enough to make this easy, great tasting dessert. I like this one best using fresh rhubarb, you can of course use frozen if that is all you have. This dessert provides just the right amount of tartness and sweetness.
See other dessert recipes at: www.havefunbaking.com
And check out: www.lovetobakeandcook.blogspot.com