- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 6 cups low (2%) milk
- 10 egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 14 cups cubed angel food cake or lady fingers
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 4 cups stewed rhubarb
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- Toasted whole almonds (optional)
- Whole strawberries (optional)
- In a large saucepan, heat milk until bubbles form around edge.
- Meanwhile in seperate heavy saucepan, beat egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch until smooth.
- Gradually whisk in milk; cook over medium heat, srtirring, for 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla; let cool.
- (Custard can be covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to one day).
- Whip cream and whisk one quarter into custard.
- Fold in remaining whipped cream.
- Spread half of the cake or lady fingers in a 28 cup glass bowl.
- Spread half of the rhubarb over cake, than half of the strawberries.
- Spread half of the custard over top.
- Repeat the process.
- Chill for 6 hours.
- Garnish with whole strawberries and almonds.
NotesAndrea and all you other rhubarb lovers, here is another tasty dessert from our neighbors on the north.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes
Breads and Pastry 101
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!See More
ICE CREAM IN A MARTINI GLASS RIMMED WITH OREO CRUMBS
Cupcake Wars Winning Peaches 'n Cream Cupcakes
Monkfish Stew in White Wine SauceSee More