- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 white cake mix (no pudding)
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup (4ozs) sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1/4 cup water
- Ribbon Cake Pan by Wilton
- 1 can white frosting
- 1 tube Red frosting gel (for pink icing)
- Combine the cake mix, four egg whites, sour cream, oil and water. Mix until fully combined - use a tablespoon of water if the batter is too dry.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prep the ribbon cake pan with shortening and flour or use floured baking spray. Let prepped pan sit flat for several minutes before introducing batter.
- Spread batter evenly into ribbon cake pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cake stand in the pan on a cooling rack for about 10 minutes.
- Then, trim cake to the pan edges and pan edge height to make flat.
- Flip cake out of ribbon cake pan onto a cake round, plate or other surface covered with aluminum foil. Allow cake to cool completely before icing.
- In a mixing bowl combine 1 can of frosting with 1 squirt from the red gel icing tube. Mix well. Add as much or as little red until you reach the pink color that you desire.
- Ice cooled cake and serve
NotesI have a friend who is battling breast cancer. She helped her mother fight, then her daughter and when everything was finally coming quiet again - she was diagnosed. Tomorrow she returns to work after a month of chemo and radiation. I endeavored to make a ribbon-shaped cake and ice it pink with very little notice. So here's my fast adaptation using a box cake mix and some admiration with a heaping amount of love.
This recipe is dedicated to Ms. Doris and her family
After the picture above - I went one shade darker pink and went back with my #18 star (pastry) tip and filled the ribbon up with stars! It much improved the aesthetics...