- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 10 oz. regular marshmallows, or 4 c. miniatures
- 6 c. Rice Krispies
- The secret to making these is preparation. Have your 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan all greased and ready, and use a LARGE saucepan. You haven't had fun until you've tried to transfer a wad of molten marshmallow from one pan to another because you realize you started too small.
- Over low heat, melt butter, then add marshmallows and stir frequently until melted. Remove from heat.Stir in cereal until coated. Press into greased pan using spatula or waxed paper. Cut into squares when cool.
- Makes 24 squares,2 for a serving.
- Variations - Rice Krispy Treats are perhaps the ultimate blank slate. You can make them with Cocoa Krispies. You can add small amounts of almond, vanilla or whatever extract you like to the marshmallows. You can add food coloring. Even peanut butter and chocolate syrup can find their ways in. Then there are the mix-ins. You name it, it can go in ... chocolate chips, raisins, cinnamon red hots, M&Ms and toffee bar bits are all good choices, but let your mind wander.
- If you take the squares out of the pan while they're still slightly warm and pliable, you can do all manner of creative things. Push licorice sticks in for arms and legs, top with a gumball or hard candy, and make "Killer Robot Krispy Treats." Shape them into amorphous blobs, add two chocolate chips for eyeholes, and make "Ghost Krispy Treats."
NotesI'll bet that sometime in the last few months you've grabbed up one of those blue foil packages at the register at your local convenience store and scarfed down a wedge of sugary, crunchy goodness on the way home. But do you remember how much better they tasted freshly made? I'll bet you don't remember the last time you made them!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
WorkingBug's Open House Cookbook
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy BlogSee More
Salmon & Spinach Pesto Pasta
Antipasto for Kids (Gluten-Free)See More