RICH, CREAMY CHICKEN AND NOODLE SOUP
- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 6 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons dry vermouth (or chicken broth)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 celery stick, sliced
- 4 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 - 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups egg noodles (uncooked)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth (or water)
- 1 cup diced chicken, cooked
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan, stir combine 1/2 cup of the chicken stock, vermouth and butter. Bring to a boil and reduce the liquid to about 1/4 cup. Stir in the heavy cream, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil and add the onion, carrots, celery and mushrooms. Saute until just tender. add the garlic and saute for an addition minute.
- Add 6 cups of chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- (The stock that I used contributed greatly to my soups deep rich color. I had made it from some chicken and bones leftover from a roasted chicken. Use what ever chicken stock you have on hand.)
- Reduce the heat and let simmer until the vegetables are tender. Carefully puree with a stick blender or pour into a blender and puree....being careful not to over fill your blender (you don't want a soup explosion...that would really ruin your night and dinner plans).
- Return to a boil and then add the noodles. Cook until tender...about 7 - 8 minutes.
- Mix the flour and additional broth, stock, water...(I used broth cuz I ran out of stock) until smooth and stir into the noodle mixture.
- If you find that it's a little too thick...add more broth / stock.
- Allow the soup to boil for a minute or two and then stir in the creamy vermouth mixture and chicken.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy
NotesSimple, tasty and all around very satisfying soup. This was adapted from a recipe I got from King Arthur Flour.